Thursday, January 13, 2011

Crossing the Road

Crossing the road has been quite the ordeal here. At first, I couldn't seem to understand why. India has the same "opposite" side driving, and I've gone, on average, every other year of my life. And my sense of right and left is pretty weak. The streets in London are different than anything I've seen before. The street corners are fenced off and you can only walk through a certain opening. They even have painted signs on the ground before the curb "Look Right -->" or "<-- Look Left". Analysing all that, it then struck me that in India, I was looking every which way before crossing the street; you never know what's going to come up at you. Meanwhile, the orderliness in England was allowing me a laxed sense of alertness.

They don't say look both ways before crossing the road for nothing!

No comments: